Prof. Hasnain Mahdi Syed

Professor of English (1966-1970) and Head of Dept. English (1969-1970)

Prof. Hasnain Mahdi Syed - 2010

By Kazi Zulkader Siddiqui, 671/Latif

Mr. Hasnain Mahdi Syed was professor of English Language at Cadet College Petaro from 1966-1970, and Head of Department of English from 1969-1970.

He was born on 4 April 1934 at Muzaffarnagar (Meerut) in United India, and got married to Mrs. Nishat on 19 September 1970 while he was at Petaro. They have two children - Saif Abbas and Mohammed Ali.

Right after the independence of Pakistan, he moved with his family to Pakistan in 1948 and settled down in Chiniot, Punjab. He got admission to Islamia High School Chiniot, and was granted his Matric certificate from Punjab University. This is the same school which produced famous industrialists, bankers and businessmen of Pakistan. Moving to Sialkot, he then passed his Intermediate exam from Murray College there.

The period was rather unsettled, and he would visit Muzaffarnagar (Meerut) India frequently during those days. His brother tried to get him settled down in India once again, but he chose to come back to Pakistan. He graduated with a B.Sc. from Dyal Singh College Lahore in 1956. He then joined F.C. College Lahore and studied there during 1959-1960. However, he had to prematurely quit his studies due to some family problems.

The family had acquired lands at Khairpur, and he spent a couple of years there, and then decided to go back to studies. He studied privately and obtained his M.A. in English from Punjab University in 1962. He obtained 2nd division in the examinations.

Moving to Karachi, he joined the Anjuman-e-Islamia High School and worked there from 1962 to 1964. That is when he decided to enter the Pakistan Education Service and moved back to Lahore once again. While he prepared for it, he sat for his second M.A. degree in Urdu from Punjab University, which he acquired in 1965.

Hasnain Sb decided to join Cadet College Petaro and worked there as teacher of English from 1966 to 1970.

During his years at Petaro, he was the Assistant In Charge for Cricket with Zaman Ahmed Sb. He was also the In charge of the English Debating Club between 1967 and 1970, the Dramatic Club (Funkada) during 1968-69 and the Social Welfare Club during 1967-70.

In 1969, he was appointed the Head of Department of English, and he retained this position until he left the college in November 1970.

At the end of 1970, he moved to Algeria where he was appointed as Professeur d'Anglais (English language professor) at the Ministry of Education. During his stay of 16 years in Algeria, he was employed at 3 lycée level colleges. At first, he was deputed to the city of Tiaret at the Ibn Rustum Lycée between 1970-71. He then moved to the city of Annaba between 1971-1976, and lastly at Ghardaia between 1976-1986.

Returning to Pakistan in 1986, he chose to remain on his lands and to serve his aged mother. He worked once again between 1990-1994 as Professor and Head of Department of English at the DHA Degree College for Men, Karachi. He was also the Vice Principal of the College. He was also External Examiner for French Language for Federal Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education, Islamabad.

Since leaving DHA Degree College for Men in 1994, he has been leading a retired life.

Prof. Hasnain Mahdi and Prof. Raja Khadim Hussain - Sports Day at Petaro 1969